Many of my clients come to me after trying a template website, or do-it-yourself company. The list is long with frustration and disappointment. Gathering the content (writing the page copy and photos) for your website is a big job and most business owners don't have time beyond this task to learn how to work within a template, learn a new language to understand what needs to done to maximize a DIY project.
Do you want to be a web designer?
Template sites from major telecommunication companies sound simple with less involvement from a busy business owner, and do-it-yourself/create-your-own-website companies sound promising. Paying monthly instead of a designer's one time fee sounds like a bargain. Here is a side by side comparison of a
custom website vs a template website.
TEMPLATE / DO IT YOURSELF WEBSITES
- Custom websites stand out. Unique design, branded to your business.
- Full SEO (search engine optimization)
- Fully scalable as you grow and add new features
- Personal service, guiding you through content needed, reviewing it and making recommendations.
- You'll have your website files forever.
- You own the copyright and can use the design elements in your branding.
- One design fee, you pay for changes as needed. You'll pay web hosting from $15 per month for quality hosting.
- Professional photo optimization and minor editing means you'll make use of photos needing correction.
- Lots of other people have access to the same template.
- You or your staff need to learn basic understanding of Search Engine Optimization.
- Templates are limited to how much customization can be done.
- Tech support may be phone, email or none and is limited to template questions.
- The template resides with the template host.
- The website company owns the design elements.
- Pay per month as long as you continue with the website.
- You or your staff need to learn basic photo editing.
I hope this helps you decide which is the better solution for your business. Having clarity is a huge advantage.
For your mobile strategy compare responsive vs separate mobile website
Custom website designs
with personal service and no outsourcing.
©2017 Brenda Simon Creations